06 December 2010

Chris Hughton Sacked from Newcastle

Hughton was sacked Monday (12/6)
You know what? When I went to bed last night at 2:30AM, I thought today was going to be a good day.

It's snowing like crazy here, and I knew I wouldn't have to get up until late. I literally have zero on my plate tomorrow so I anticipated a couple easy, emotion-less days. But, lo and behold, I get up and Sam comes in to tell me that Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton was sacked. Fired. Released. Crap.

I had this deep down feeling that this would happen last week after the 5-1 loss to Bolton. I used to be a simple American where coaches were fired once in a blue moon, and especially not halfway through his 2nd season with a team. I quickly buried my thoughts however with the knowledge that Chris led us back to the Premier League after only one year in the Championship (we slaughtered by the way, racking up 102 points and a loss-less record at home). Yeah, this was the guy's first full-time manager position, but he got us all the way to 5th in the Prem table a month back.


Here's the statement released by the club's leadership:
"Newcastle United Football Club have today [Monday] parted company with manager Chris Hughton," the statement said. Goalkeeping coach Paul Barron also leaves the club today...The board would also like to place on record their thanks to Chris for his considerable efforts during the club's transition from Championship to Premier League football...Regrettably, the board now feels an individual with more managerial experience is needed to take the club forward...The task of appointing a new manager now begins. An announcement will be made shortly regarding transitional arrangements pending the appointment of a successor."
I mean, this makes sense. I wouldn't have done it, but I understand why they sacked him. I'm still not terribly happy with it, but its more because I feel sorry for the guy rather than feel sorry for the team. With the right manager I feel like the Magpies can finish higher up in the table than we are now (11th, 4 points away from relegation zone). But I hate that we had to let Chris go at this point in the season.

So, from a Newcastle fan, thank you Chris. You have done some great things for our club in the past year and a half and we will always appreciate everything you done for us. You will always be my first Newcastle manager.

- disappointed fan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Networks

Hi reader! If you enjoy reading stuff on Crest First, please share the love! Use the links on the right to "like" us on Facebook and to follow us on Twitter! Don't forget to tell your friends!